2008-10-23, 03:01 PM
There's quite a few more of those "disturbing" experiments out there. For instance, there's the baby experiment, where in the control situation the baby was squealing with a bunny. In the next series of tests, the psychologists showed the baby unpleasant stimuli along with fuzzy things. In the end, the baby was mortified by the bunny. Unfortunately we don't know what happened to the baby as he grew up. Another one was a kitten being raised to see only vertical stripes until it matured. At that point, it only reacted to vertical objects. It didn't react to horizontal objects, including a horizontal pencil waved up and down right before its eyes.
Also, society might as well be the Asch conformity experiment combined with Darwin's survival of the fittest, if you think about it. Knowing this, I would like to say I wouldn't mind tests like these IF the participant (or guardians of) was willing, whether paid or just "in the name of science".
(I saw a video of the prison experiment, and dang, everyone, including the psychologists, got sucked into it that they believed it to be real o.O)
Also, society might as well be the Asch conformity experiment combined with Darwin's survival of the fittest, if you think about it. Knowing this, I would like to say I wouldn't mind tests like these IF the participant (or guardians of) was willing, whether paid or just "in the name of science".
(I saw a video of the prison experiment, and dang, everyone, including the psychologists, got sucked into it that they believed it to be real o.O)

